Wednesday 11 June 2008

Apols for the hiatus...

I've got a life outside of blogging, so I have been neglecting my duties, some of which I will get around to posting about in the not too distant future. As for the Oscar Wilde of British Fascism ie "Sid", life is too short to waste much time on a nasty piece of work like him.

To fill the gap a bit, I got this meme from Madam Miaow. It's doing the rounds through the blogosphere at the moment:

“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.”

I had to think hard about this. I am so out of following current musical trends. I keep telling myself to listen to XFM, but the few times I've tried to listen to it in the last couple of years I seem to tune into some DJ "telling me and more about some useless information" (to quote Sir Michael Jagger). At least with my own musical collection I can listen to what I want when I want. Most of what I learn about "new music" is via going on YouTube.

So the 7 I've chosen are very much pieces of music which have been going through my mind over the last few months:

(1) Tori Amos: Professional Widow (Amand Van Helden mix) I'm far from a connoisseur of "dance music". The best of it is glorified disco. The worst is like prog rock with a beat, with nothing to sing along to and just far too long. However, I like this, mainly because it doesn't go on too long and is based on a real song: "Professional Widow" by Tori Amos, which is supposedly about post-Kurt Cobain Courtney Love.

(2) Jarvis Cocker: Running The World. This makes "Common People" sound like a vicarage tea party. Link has scenes from my favourite film of 2006 "Children of Men".

(3) Black Kids: I Ain't Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance With You. Saw these on Jools Holland a couple of months ago. I totally agree with the sentiments: too many objects of desire go out with complete numpties- don't encourage them!

(4) Rage Against The Machine: Testify. From 2000, a good antidote to the current bout of Barak-mania (and Gore-mania too).

(5) : Supergrass: Sun Hits The Sky. A great summer song (even better if the weather goes with it) from their best album of the lot, In It For The Money.

(6) Eye of the Tiger. Not the version in the Rocky film, but from Persepolis. Marjane comes home to Iran from Vienna in the late 1980s, finds it extremely hard to adapt, then almost kills herself with a drink/drugs cocktail. Then she snaps out of it, and this is the soundtrack to picking herself up from the floor.

(7) Moby: Everyday It's 1989. From his new album (but I found it on a freebie Sunday Times CD) some glorified disco.

That's my 7. If anyone else wants me to tag them, be my guest!

3 comments:

Madam Miaow said...

Jarvis is always good value but I'd never heard this song before. From now on this will be a favourite refrain of mine: "Cunts are still running the world'.

OK, cunts are actually sweet thangs, but it's still a cheeky lyric and I take your point, Mr Cocker.

Anonymous said...

Noooo, not Tori Amos! Why do people like this remix of Professional Widow so? Still, at least you didn't do a Splinty and confess to a secret Girls Aloud pash ;)

Madam Miaow said...

Splinty's not-so-secret Girls Aloud pash ... be afraid. be very afraid!